Performance Issues
Incident Report for Templafy
Resolved
Performance issue
We have experienced some performance issues on our servers in the period 11th to 14th of March and to explain further what happened, please see the below note.

Summary
A small number of users started experiencing intermittent slowness when browsing our web application Monday 11th around 6:30 AM UTC time. We started to investigate the issue immediately and identified the issue to the response time requests made towards our web servers.

Root cause
A newly enabled feature was causing the servers to have performance issues. The performance spikes were at inconsistent intervals between the servers and lasted for about 2 minutes each. If a user’s request was hitting a specific server that had performance issues in that time frame then the user would experience high delay in response time. (This was the case of 1 in 100 requests)

Resolution
We have disabled the feature on 14th March 10:45 AM UTC and the performance issue are now solved.

We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience and loss of service experienced with Templafy for the affected users.
Posted Mar 15, 2019 - 11:29 CET
This incident affected: WebApp.